Eligibility is subject to affiliation with Stanford University. The Stanford affiliate must occupy the apartment as his/her principal place of residence in order to qualify for the BMR Rate. Resident must be employed at least 30 hours per week (75% FTE) at or above the minimum wage during the entire lease term. Lease term cannot exceed duration of Qualifying Employment.
For general leasing or community information, visit our FAQ page.
For BMR questions, please view our FAQ below. If you have any questions that are not present on our FAQ section, please send your question to us using the form below and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.
- What are Stanford eligibility requirements for BMR units?
- What happens if I no longer qualify for a BMR unit due to change in my Stanford affiliation?
- What is the income limit for my family?
- What are the occupancy requirements for a BMR unit?
- What documents and additional requirements will I need to submit to get into a BMR unit or renewing my lease for a BMR unit?
- What happens if I no longer qualify for a BMR unit due to income or household changes?
- When will the BMR waiting list open?
- How can I find out when the BMR waiting list opens?
- How long does the BMR waiting list stay open for?
When the program is in operation, the Stanford affiliate must occupy the apartment as his/her principal place of residence in order to qualify for the BMR Rate. Resident must be employed at least 30 hours per week (75% FTE) at or above the minimum wage in one of the following Stanford positions during the entire lease term:
1b. Public Safety Officers
1c. University Staff
X99. Postdoctoral Scholar/Fellow (University Employee)
Lease term cannot exceed duration of Qualifying Employment. Separate and prior to the BMR income and household eligibility verification process, new applicants and current residents who are renewing their lease will be asked to turn in employment documents to confirm that they meet all Stanford eligibility requirements.
If you no longer meet the Stanford affiliation requirements or your Stanford affiliate position drops below the minimum 75% FTE, you are eligible to renew at the current market rate provided that you are able to show proof of financial viability. If unable to show proof of financial viability, you will receive a 90 day notice of to move out.
Below market rate qualifications for 2021 is as follows:
|Household Size||Annual Household Income at Move-in Must Be Below|
Below market rate occupancy requirements are as follows:
|1 Bedroom||1 Person||3 People|
|2 Bedroom||2 Person||5 People|
|3 Bedroom||3 Person||7 People|
What documents and additional requirements will I need to submit to get into a BMR unit or renewing my lease for a BMR unit?
After you have been verified as an eligible Stanford affiliate, you will be connected to Alta Housing for the BMR income and household verification process. All household members listed on your application who are 18 years or older will need to be present for the interview. You will be asked to bring in all of the items listed below, which apply to your household, when you are contacted to come in for the interview.
- Valid Government issued ID/Driver's License for each adult household member*
- Birth Certificates for each household member under the age of 18 years old**
- Social Security cards for all household members*
- Proof of Preference Status*
- 2020 Income Tax Returns and W2-s
- Payroll stubs from the past three months
- Award letter/print out from Social Security showing monthly income
- Checking Account statements for the last six months
- Most recent month's bank statement for Savings Accounts
- Most recent Statement from all 401-k/IRA and/or other asset account
*Initial certification only
**Initial certification and subsequent recertification only of there is a change in household composition.
Residents are required to notify property management as soon as they are aware of income or household changes. If you no longer qualify for a BMR unit due to income or household changes but are still employed within an eligible Stanford position, you are eligible to renew at Stanford affiliate rate provided that you are able to show proof of financial viability. If unable to show proof of financial viability, you will receive a 90 day notice to move out.
The BMR waiting list will re-open after the waiting list for any one unit type (i.e. 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, or 3-bedroom) drops below 10 persons. The BMR waiting list will remain closed if all unit types have at least 10 persons on the list.
We recommend to routinely check the BMR Interest List page, as this is where the announcement will be posted.
The BMR waiting list will typically stay open for 30 days or when the list for any one unit type (i.e. 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom) reaches 100 persons, whichever happens later.